Archaeometallurgy & Artefact Analysis Ireland
We provide specialist Archaeometallurgy advice to the archaeological community on various aspects of archaeological materials, such as iron slags, crucibles, moulds, metallic artefacts etc. To date we have compiled reports on metalworking evidence from a wide range of archaeological sites excavated on the N5, N26, M3 (M3motorway.ie/Archaeology) & M8 road schemes. We have built up a good deal of new knowledge and information on various aspects of the development of early metal-working technology and Archaeometallurgy in Ireland.
Specialist Archaeometallurgy Services
We can provide specialist Archaeometallurgy advice on the following:
- Iron Slag – Crucibles & Moulds – Glass-working – Lead – Silver & Gold working
- On-site advice on excavation and sampling methodology for metallurgical residues
- Workshops & seminars on identification and recording of materials associated with various metallurgical processes.
- Initial Assessment and Characterization of Metallurgical Residues, Crucibles & Technology.
- Initial Assessment and Characterization of Metallurgical Residues, Crucibles & Technology
- Assistance with formulating research strategies for metallurgical sites & material.
- Chemical & mineral analysis of slag composition
- Surface Analysis of Artefact Compositions & characterization of possible alloys/raw materials & methodology used for manufacture.
Relevant Qualifications & Previous Experience:
- MSc Technology & Analysis of Archaeological Materials
- Institute of Archaeology, University College London. 2004-2005
- Thesis on Analysis of Viking crucibles associated with silver working from Sigtuna in Sweden & Fyrkat in Denmark
- Report on Analysis of Early Medieval Copper Alloy neck-ring from Ratoath, Co, Meath as part of MSc module on metallic artifacts.
- 3 years experience teaching on module ‘Science of Archaeological Materials’ at Sligo IT
Previous Archaeometallurgy Reports
Report on Iron-working residues from Lowpark, Co. Mayo excavated in advance of N5 Charlestown Bypass
on behalf of Richard Gillespie, Mayo County Council & the NRA
Report on Iron-working residues from Tonybaun, Co, Mayo, excavated in advance of N26 Ballina-Bohola Stage 1
on behalf of Joanna Nolan, Mayo County Council & the NRA